Sunday, August 30, 2009

Long Hiatus to be Even Longer

No news is bad news.

Have been looking for work and finally have been reduced to a temp service. And, in St. Albans, the only temp work is factory work. Have had one day of it, and could barely move on Saturday.

Will try it again on Monday, but I don't hold out much hope for its continuance. The $8.00/hour is not enough incentive to offset the pain. Factory work to me meant line-work. But this is not that and there is not a chair or stool in sight. So, from a sedentary work style to one of on-your-feet-all-day is a real show-stopper.

The only bright moments are the few where I can practice calligraphy for a class at the Open Doors programs for St. Albans City Schools (god, I hope it makes!) and those when I go to the Bishop Street Artists group on Thursday mornings. The desperate need for money blocks all creative thoughts--they just don't happen.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear...
    I've always thought it was a romantic illusion of youth that creativity and poverty--or, rather, the hard labor and anxiety that can attend poverty-- can coexist very well.
    I fear one of these days I'm going to have to get regular paying work--I'm putting it off as long as possible.
    Thankfully art can flare brightly in the dark, even if only on Thursday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Fresca -- yes to be young and starving and an artist--the thrill, the romance! The operative word here is "young". Then you KNOW your condition is temporary. At my age, you are fairly sure it's not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's the missing ingredient, isn't it! Youth. And Paris!

    ReplyDelete